The War on Christmas
This whole War on Christmas hysteria really needs to stop. Those who are caught up in it are doing nothing but make themselves look like jackasses and help John Gibson and Bill O'Reilly make more money. Why does there need to be a "war" about this, anyway? Could we please tone down the catchphrases? No, of course not, because that doesn't sell as many books or commercial time.
Yesterday, one of our reps called me to ask a question and he started out by saying, "Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah or - well, I just don't know what to say anymore, so Happy Holidays." I told him he couldn't say that either because that would mean that he's helping in the War on Christmas. He laughed, as well he should, because it's DUMB.
And then today I opened our free local newspaper and saw this gem of a column from our resident right wing apologist. He's usually good for little more than a somewhat shrill recap of the week's talking points and this week was no exception. I won't recap it, the link's there if you want it, but I mention it because it really was the final straw. There is no war on Christmas, there is just a recognition by most everyone that there are millions of people who celebrate different winter holidays. It's that simple. Someone saying "Happy Holidays" to me suggests that they respect the possibility that I might not be Christian, and I appreciate that. Those who whine about a War on Christmas probably don't give a damn that others may not be Christian and their insistence on "Merry Christmas" being the default message is highly disrespectful. Beyond that, it's petty and stupid and I think Jesus would be ashamed of His followers for their behavior.
So ... now I have to go write a letter to the editor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment