Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Miers

It's hard not to be cynical when you're thinking about politicians, but the nomination of Harriet Miers is just so bizarre that you can't help it. Bush has always done exactly what he damn well pleases and as a lame duck, you'd think he'd throw that into high gear. Instead, he's nominated someone not nearly conservative enough for his hard right base, and unknown enough to at least concern and/or baffle his moderate base and the Democrats. He's once again being accused of cronyism - something that we know doesn't really bother him but now seems so aggressive that even his supporters think it's over the top.

I haven't read a ton of blogs or articles about her (yet) but a few things have jumped out so far - no comment on the already beat-to-death debates on the lack of judicial experience and materials that could be used to figure out who the heck this woman is and how she thinks.

1. Cheney headed up Bush's quest for a running mate and then became his running mate. Miers headed up his quest for a Justice and then got nominated. Surely this isn't the case - please let it not be the case - but it almost looks like the man just gets lazy and tired of the process. "Hell, you just go ahead and do it."

2. She's known Bush for 20 years - I wouldn't put it beyond Bush's ego to want a direct personal impact on the court after he's gone. Her devotion to him has been noted several times, and he certainly loves attention.

3. She could be a "win" for Bush whether she's confirmed or not. If she IS confirmed, I've no real doubt that she'll fall to the right. Certainly you wouldn't expect Bush to nominate otherwise. It seems unclear what she'd do with Roe v Wade challenges, but I think it would be unwise to focus on that issue. It's so EASY to focus on it, which is why I wonder if there isn't a longer end game with some other cases in mind down the road. But if she is NOT confirmed, it still might be a win. Bush will be able to say that he tried to nominate someone moderate so as to reach out across party lines, and darn those Democrats, they just wouldn't cooperate. They're obviously obstructionist. And as for the right that he's alienated with this nomination? Well, it may come to pass that there are several midterm candidates who will end up beholden to him for awakening the sentiment out there for the hard right (and maybe even some folks who are conservative but are losing faith in Bush) to keep control of Congress.

In general, I'm disappointed in the reaction and focus on the weakest chinks in her armor. There's more to this, and I'd like to see some experts dig deeper - I think I'm feeling all Pelican Brief-y here - into what is way out on the horizon and why she's Bush's choice.

No comments: