Rethinking Thin
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
Our local news station just had an interview with Gina Kolata, who
writes for the NY Times. She wrote a book that will be released in a
few days called "Rethinking Thin." Her contention? That a lot of
overweight folks are suffering from genetics and that our increasingly
thin "ideal" body images are hurting us. That being overweight isn't
necessarily bad and of course ... it's not your fault.
We don't need to "rethink thin." I'll bet if most of us looked at
pictures of our families from the 60's and 70's, there aren't that
many as many fat people in them ... and the folks who were fat weren't
as fat as fat people today. It's not genetics, genetics wouldn't
change the collective body shape of the country within 50 years. Or
rather, it IS genetic, it's ALWAYS been genetic for our bodies to
store fat, there's nothing special that anyone inherited from their
parents.
I'm so sick of all of this. When I was a kid, from kindergarten thru
high school, I worked out every day (and as I got older, about three
hours per day) and had a six pack and probably some ridiculous body
fat percentage. Working out 20 minutes a day, three times a week will
not give anyone rock hard abs like on infomercials. Vigorously
cleaning the kitchen floor isn't going to get you in shape, and
neither is chasing your adorable little toddler around the house.
Eating whatever you want on the diet program du jour is bullshit,
because you don't WANT the foods that will keep you thin. If you did,
you wouldn't be fat!! Even if you workout three hours a day or have a
job where you are physically active, you still can't eat whatever you
want because the crappiest food now is hella crappier than the
crappiest food 50 years ago. And the worst food 50 years ago couldn't
be zapped in the microwave for two minutes and you're good to go. You
actually had to work to even eat. Crazy!
I'm not blaming fat people, just so tired of the warm fuzzies people
try to give out about being fat. Fat isn't good! It's not our normal
state, it's not what we were built for. Our joints can't handle it,
our circulatory system can't handle it, our endocrine system can't
handle it - not one of our systems was built to thrive on obesity.
People need to stop saying it's OK to be fat!
Geesh.
OK. I'm through. Whew! Getting all worked up like that probably
burned off a few thousand calories, right? I deserve a grande
cinnamon dolce frappucino now, I think. With whipped cream, natch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment